Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Network!

When I first moved to the DMV, one of the first advice I received was to network as much as possible. We've all heard it before...."It's not about what you know, but who you know."

Last week, I attended the Young Hospitality Industry Professionals (YHIP) happy hour at the Helix hotel with few of my colleagues! (Side note: I love that spot!) The crowd was predominately white; mid-twenties to early-forties.

While sipping on my cosmo, I decided to "people watch" as I like to call it! While checking out the crowd, I noticed that the majority of people were walking around meeting new people. You can tell it was a new connection because of the introduction. I noticed a lot of business cards were being passed around. So after about my third cosmo, I decided to head over to my next destination...The Park @ 14th! Soon after I arrived, I decided to continue people watching. For those that have yet to go to The Park on a Thursday evening, the crowd is predominately black. Most are in their mid-twenties to early-forties.

Whilst checking out the crowd, I noticed a difference in the atmosphere. There really wasn't any networking going on. It was mostly men standing around drinking w/their colleagues/friends/etc. while checking out the women walking around. Okay, you can say this wasn't a networking event, however, happy hours have always been an unofficial networking event. Instead, it was more like a "hook up" spot!

I know there are a lot of differences between blacks and whites, but I thought most happy hours were pretty standard! You drink, meet new people, make new connections...etc., etc., etc. Well, I guess you can call meeting a new dude @ the park a new connection, but what can he do for me professionally? At the YHIP event, I met the manager of the hotel who kinda gave me that sweet deal - I won't say since nothing is written in stone as yet. But the point is, a business connection was made.

Right now, I don't even know if I have a conclusion to this blog. I'll just end it by asking...What gives?

*Please excuse the poor grammar. I have a slight headache and I'm unable to think straight. I wanted to get this out before I lost my train of thought! :)

1 comment:

Sandy said...

i'm just reading this...i guess it depends on where "we" are cause you know our people like to get out network on (some at least) and we also like to get our groove on... freaks that we are.. lol

 
Designed by Lena